Thursday, January 13, 2011

Embrace the Fear - Tandem Skydiving in Rotorua

Skydiving has always been on my “bucket list” but actually doing it was an out of world experience. I still cannot get over the fact that I jumped out of a perfectly good airplane at 12000 feet!!

So what made me do it?
I was in New Zealand, the adventure country of the world and there is no better place to do the deed. Also I felt that safety standards in New Zealand are top notch and even though this was an adventure sport, I would somehow be "safe"! Besides, Rotorua is a very beautiful place and would enhance the experience.

What did I feel?
A little bit of anxiety from the time I had made up my mind to book myself on a tandem jump. I tried not to think about it especially because I did have a fear of heights. I tried to focus on the fact that I wanted to do it and that I had to do it.


Giles, Matt and myself

Anyway, I had booked myself and my brother-in-law Giles a tandem jump each for the 29th of December 2010. We got into Rotorua on 28 Dec and it was pouring cats and dogs. At the back of my mind was a little niggle – what if the weather continued to be bad the next day? Would we be able to go through with the jump? Despite the fear of the jump, I did not want to be cheated out of the experience by the weather gods. To my good luck, the weather improved and on 29 Dec, it was perfect – sunny and clear.

We reported to the NZone office at Rotorua airport at the designated time of 1130 hrs. However there were quite a few people rostered for jumps before us. So the unexpected delay gave us time to acclimatize ourselves to the reality of the jump, get over our nerves and watch the others go through the drill. It was fascinating to watch the jumpers put on their harnesses, go through their safety briefings, walk to the aircraft, climb and crawl inside the cabin and then finally watch the landing. I was closely watching the jumpers’ reactions after the jump and most of them, no all of them, I observed, were thrilled and excited. That boosted my courage and willpower to go through the jump.

It was also fascinating to watch the helpers pack the parachutes into the backpacks. Here I was, trusting strangers with my life!! Imagine if the parachute did not open during the jump!! Quickly, I pushed the thought away.

Soon, it was our turn. We were asked to get into the jumpsuit and our instructors Matt and Paul introduced themselves to us. They helped us with our harnesses and ensured that it was properly secured. They gave us our safety briefings on how to jump out of the aircraft and the correct landing technique. Then we were introduced to our camera guys who interviewed us to capture our thoughts and feelings before the jump. After that, everything happened in quick succession. The aircraft was ready for boarding in front of the hangar, we took a quick picture outside the hangar and then it was time to board. Matt got in first, then me, Benoit, Paul, Giles and last was Walter, Giles’ cameraman. The aircraft was a tiny one with no seats. So we had to crawl on the floor and squeeze into the tiny cabin. The doors closed and off were we into the wide open blue sky!

Matt went through the instructions with me once again and checked my harnesses for the last time. I asked if one could change one’s mind and was firmly told that it was not allowed! Not that I wanted to! Anyway, when the altimeter said 12000 ft, the door opened and Walter stepped out on the railing as he had to take pictures and film Giles jump. Then Giles was asked to position himself on the ledge with Paul sitting behind him. Soon they were out and before I knew it, it was my turn. I have no memory of any thoughts that went through my mind at that very second. However I do recall sitting on the ledge with Matt repeating instructions on how I should position my head and feet and a reminder to hold my harness and BREATHE. The next thing I know is that I was out of the aircraft, somersaulting through the air. The feeling was indescribable. Here I was, afraid of heights, yet hurtling through space.

Then Matt gave me a thumbs up signal which meant that we were in for a 45 second freefall where I could spread my arms and fly!! Benoit was right there below me to capture my emotions and any other antics if I had wanted to indulge in. And then suddenly, we were jerked up. Matt had deployed the parachute. The jerk was sudden but after that was bliss as we floated over Rotorua. It was beautiful. We could peacefully enjoy the scenery from our special place above. It was gorgeous and since it was a clear day, we could see the lakes, the airport and most of the sights pretty clearly. Matt expertly navigated the parachute to land on the grassy strip near the airport instead of the lake which was nearby. I did ask him if there were any jumpers who landed in the lake and he confirmed that there had been, but not him. The landing was very smooth. Matt asked me to raise my feet whilst he took the landing on his feet running. Finally it was all over and I was back on terra firma.




There was not only a sense of relief but also a sense of accomplishment. I felt and still feel, that I have the confidence to do anything I wish to do. Like the NZone brochures say – there is no such thing as TRY. You either DO or DO NOT DO. I am proud of myself that I DID IT.




http://www.nzone.biz/Skydive/skydive_rotorua/

BE BRAVE - even if you are not, pretend to be, no one can tell the difference.

I must not fear,
fear is the mind killer

Fear is the little death that brings
total obliteration

I will face my fear

I will permit it to pass over
and through me

And when it has gone past
I will turn the inner eye to see its path

Where the fear has gone
there will be nothing

Only I will remain

- FRANK HERBERT

2 comments:

  1. this was a really nicely written article. this is my in my 'things to do list'. I had recently done the highest bungy jump in the world with my husband, in Macau.
    It was the best feeling ever. we are looking for a place where we can do a tandem sky jump now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well then if you can, do it in New Zealand with NZone. They are very professional. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

I do hope you have enjoyed what I have shared and will take the time to write back to me. I would really like to hear your thoughts, views, opinions about my blog posts. Sharing is caring. :)